Saturday, February 4, 2012

The No 'Poo Project

I have a confession to make.
I haven't shampooed my hair for the past 2 weeks....and I'm not planning on it for a while.
Now I'm not saying I haven't washed my hair- just no store purchased shampoo.
I've been studying about the "no 'poo" method since discovering it on a blog and I REALLY loved what I read.  Think about it- all of the chemicals in shampoos and conditioners we are putting in our hair? I try and eat only natural/organic- so what would I put chemicals on my body?

Essentially- "no 'poo" is washing my hair with a baking soda/water mixture and conditioning with apple cider vinegar (I like Braggs Organic Raw ACV).

My hair washing regimen now goes something like this:
I mix 1 tbs of baking soda with one cup of water.  Right now this is all happening in a ramekin, so pouring it over my head is a bit of mess as you can imagine; but as soon as I'm done with this post, I'm going to invest in a small squirt bottle and pre-mix by "shampoo."  This way, I'll only have to make it (hopefully) once a week.  After I massage  the mix in my hair, concentrating on my scalp because that is what produces the most oil, I rinse.
For my conditioner, I use 1-2 tbs ACV with 1 cup of water.  I put it in on my ends after my baking soda wash and leave it in while I finish my shower, shave etc., then rinse and that's it!

The only thing I have't quite gotten the hang of yet is how often to actually "shampoo."  I used to be a shampoo everyday kind of girl.  I've read about women no 'pooing twice a week, once a week, and some eventually just using water (I'm not sure if I can try that route yet...). So far, I've tried it 2-3 times a week and it seems to be working.  On my shower days when it's not "poo day," I usually just rinse my hair under plain water.
In the beginning, my hair did seem to be producing a bit more oil; but I think that is just to compensate for the shampoo oils and my hair is slowly figuring it out.

If you want to read more on stories on 'No Poo- check these other blogs out:

Simple Mom

Crunchy Betty

Cheers to no 'poo!
Cyn

No comments:

Post a Comment